If you or your team have accessibility concerns or your site has features or workflows not yet supported by the block editor (Gutenberg), the Classic Editor or Gutenberg Ramp plugins are good alternatives.
- [Instructor] The new block editor, also known as Gutenberg, fundamentally changes how you create and edit content with WordPress. If you or someone on your team are not ready to switch to the block editor, or you have accessibility concerns about this new interface, there are two options available to return WordPress to the classic editor, either wholesale, or for specific post types. The Classic Editor Plugin is a one-click solution that disables the new block editor and returns old content editing interfaces, so posts, pages, and any customs post types you may have activated, to the original classic editor.
The Classic Editor Plugin is the right solution if you have accessibility concerns, need more time to get ready for the block editor, have setups that rely on or require custom content publishing tools, or any situation where the block editor is a hindrance to content publication. The Gutenberg Ramp Plugin enables you to activate the new block editor on selected pages and post types. Say for example you want the block editor on regular posts, but not on pages, or you have a custom post type with advanced settings that conflict with the block editor.
In these and other scenarios, the Gutenberg Ramp Plugin is the right choice. Both Classic Editor and Gutenberg Ramp will be available long term to ensure the transition from the old WordPress to the new block-based WordPress is as smooth as possible. If you choose to use the Classic Editor Plugin, the rest of this course is not for you, because it covers the new block editor. For this reason, we've kept the legacy WordPress Essential Training course in the library. That course covers content production and management using the classic editor in detail.
Note: This course covers WordPress 5. The training will be updated as WordPress evolves.
- Installing WordPress
- Creating posts and pages
- Formatting text
- Publishing and scheduling posts
- Adding images, audio, and video
- Bulk editing posts and pages
- Working with reusable blocks