- [Instructor] User registration is one of WordPress'…coolest features.…Out of the box, WordPress makes it easy…for any visitor to register with your site.…This open registration makes sense for some sites…but, for others, not so much.…In this video, we'll look at how to disable…user registration from within the comfort…of the WordPress admin area.…Here on the general settings screen,…we scroll down a bit to find the setting, Membership.…When this setting is enabled,…anyone can register with the site, even bots, spammers,…and other bad actors.…
To see how this works, let's go ahead and enable this option…and then log out of the admin area.…Here on the login page, visitors may now…click the Register link to register with your site…and, by visitors, I mean anyone or anything.…And that's typically what happens…when you allow open registration.…You get tons of spam and other automated nonsense.…So, if you do need to allow open registration,…visit the plug-ins directory and check out some of…the many plug-ins available for stopping registration spam.…
- Backing up and restoring your site
- Setting up strong passwords
- Understanding users and roles
- Choosing trusted plugins and themes
- Changing and recovering passwords
- Configuring authentication keys
- Securing the login page
- Fighting spam in the comments
- Blocking access and detecting hacks
- Building a firewall for WordPress
- Detecting and blocking bots
- Auditing your WordPress security
Skill Level Intermediate
1. Getting Started
2. Security Essentials
3. Hardening WordPress
4. Improving Security with Plugins
5. Advanced Tips and Tricks
6. Applying Best Practices
Next steps2m 9s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.