Join Jeff Starr for an in-depth discussion in this video Disable file editing in the admin area, part of WordPress: Developing Secure Sites .
- [Instructor] By default, WordPress enables…Admin level users to edit theme and plugin files…from within the Admin Area.…While this feature is indeed convenient,…it can be an unnecessary risk.…This video explains how to disable file editing…to further secure your WordPress-powered site.…Here on the "Edit Themes" page,…we see WordPress' built-in file editor for themes.…Here we can select and modify the files…of any installed theme.…For example, let's say that we want to change…the version number of the 2016 theme.…
After doing so, we click the "Update File" button…to save our changes.…Then we can verify this change…by visiting the "Updates" page.…We see that the version has been changed…from the current version, which we had,…to 1.1, which is the previous version.…Indeed, anyone logged in as an Administrator…can directly modify anything in any theme template.…Likewise for plugin files,…we can modify any installed plugin…via the "Edit Plugins" page.…For example, let's change the version number…of the "Akismet" plugin.…
- Backing up and restoring your site
- Setting up strong passwords
- Understanding users and roles
- Choosing trusted plugins and themes
- Changing and recovering passwords
- Configuring authentication keys
- Securing the login page
- Fighting spam in the comments
- Blocking access and detecting hacks
- Building a firewall for WordPress
- Detecting and blocking bots
- Auditing your WordPress security
Skill Level Intermediate
1. Getting Started
2. Security Essentials
3. Hardening WordPress
4. Improving Security with Plugins
5. Advanced Tips and Tricks
6. Applying Best Practices
Next steps2m 9s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.