Join Jeff Starr for an in-depth discussion in this video Disable error display, part of WordPress: Developing Secure Sites .
- [Instructor] Displaying PHP errors and warnings…in the browser may be useful during site development.…But on a live production site,…it's a security risk that should be avoided.…This video explains how to make sure that your…Wordpress-powered site is configured to not display errors.…Here is what we are talking about in this tutorial.…When errors are displayed on your site,…as they are here, sensitive information about your server…and setup are revealed to the public.…So anyone or thing that catches the error…may use it to exploit your site.…
For example, as you can see here,…the full server path is revealed,…along with the function names and other information…that could provide an attacker with leverage.…And to regular visitors, it just looks bad,…like there's some serious problems with your site.…So we're going to lock this down,…and make sure that doesn't happen.…By default, error display is disabled by Wordpress.…So if you're setting up a new site,…there shouldn't be anything to worry about.…But if your site has been around a while,…
- Backing up and restoring your site
- Setting up strong passwords
- Understanding users and roles
- Choosing trusted plugins and themes
- Changing and recovering passwords
- Configuring authentication keys
- Securing the login page
- Fighting spam in the comments
- Blocking access and detecting hacks
- Building a firewall for WordPress
- Detecting and blocking bots
- Auditing your WordPress security
Skill Level Intermediate
AngularJS and WordPress: Building a Single-Page Applicationwith Roy Sivan31m 52s Intermediate
1. Getting Started
2. Security Essentials
3. Hardening WordPress
4. Improving Security with Plugins
5. Advanced Tips and Tricks
6. Applying Best Practices
Next steps2m 9s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.