Learn how to build secure plugins by using some essential security techniques. To keep plugins secure, you should always validate and sanitize data, and also use nonces to help secure any submitted form data.
- [Instructor] As we develop WordPress plugins,…it's very important to ensure that everything is…as secure as possible.…Just because the code works…doesn't mean that it's safe and secure.…Remember, WordPress plugins are used…on millions of websites, so security is mission critical.…When developing plugins, there is no magic pill…to ensure that everything is secure.…Rather, security is added as your build your plugins…with each variable sanitized,…each user validated, and so forth.…WordPress provides many techniques…to help us build secure plugins.…
Here are some of the most important…and widely applicable techniques.…Let's explore some ways to apply each of these…techniques in our own plugins.…Data validation is the process of checking…whether data is invalid or valid.…Usually, the data to be validated is provided…by the user or external web service.…Here are some examples.…Data validation is used for things like…checking if submitted data is what we expect it to be,…making sure that content is not blank,…email addresses are formatted correctly, and so forth.…
- WordPress APIs
- Action and filter hooks
- Activating and deactivating plugins
- Plugin security
- Creating the directory and files
- Adding menus and the settings page
- Inserting custom functionality
- Testing and debugging WordPress plugins
- Creating widgets
- Managing users and roles
- Adding custom post types and taxonomies
- Working with custom fields and database queries
- Using APIs: Transients, HTTP, and REST
Skill Level Intermediate
WordPress: Developing Secure Siteswith Jeff Starr2h 34m Intermediate
1. First Steps
2. Plugin Basics
3. Building a WordPress Plugin
4. Essential Plugin Techniques
5. Extending Plugin Functionality
6. Advanced Plugin Techniques
Next steps1m 16s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.