Before getting into the details of building a small business website, let's zoom out and look at the big picture of what you're trying to create. See the finished website created in this course.
- [Instructor] Before we dive in head first, I thought I'd give you a quick preview of what we'll be working towards. In this course, I'll be building an example website for a small business called Leaf & Mortar Landscape Design and Architecture. The company wants to expand its customer base and get a better foothold in the local community, and they're building a website to make that happen. Leaf & Mortar is a typical small business with a focused list of services and dedicated and knowledgeable staff, and they want the website to showcase both their skills and help support the community through knowledge sharing, and, of course, most importantly, they want the website to help bring in more business. To achieve this, we're going to build a site tailor made for a small business. Because visitors are likely to come to the front page of this type of site, we're going to use a free theme that allows us to build a customized front page that introduces the business, has a clear call to action and helps tell the story of the company. We'll also use the website to generate leads and bring in new business by building an attractive contact page and provide a form for people to request a consultation. On the promotional side, we'll use the blog to publish promotions, DIY gardening articles and project showcases to show off the type and quality of work the business offers. And finally, no small business site is complete without a full list of services and an about page introducing clients and partners to the company history and the staff they'll be working with. This example project was created to showcase some common features you'd expect to see on a small business website, and as we move forward in the course, I want you to use your own content and customize what you learn to fit with your own small business. Once you're done, you can use this website as your starting point and expand the project further as needed. If you want to familiarize yourself with the final site I'm building for this course before continuing on, you can visit it at the URL on your screen. When you're ready, let's start at the beginning and build a great small business website with WordPress.
- Establishing site goals and needs
- Adding new pages
- Finding a theme and site images
- Customizing colors, fonts, and menus
- Setting up your webpages
- Adding contact forms and social media buttons
- Testing your site
- Securing your site