Join Morten Rand-Hendriksen for an in-depth discussion in this video Customizing the theme, part of WordPress DIY: Freelance/Independent Website.
- View Offline
- The first thing you should do anytime…you activate a new theme is go to the Customizer…and see what customization options are available to you.…In the case of the Freedom theme…you have some customization options available…in the Customizer and there are also some other options…available in the WordPress feature called Theme Options.…Now this is for the current version of the theme,…in the future there's a good chance…that all the customization options…will be moved to the Customizer,…but if you are watching this course…and you are using the current version of the theme…you will see they're split in two,…which makes things a little bit convoluted,…but I'll walk you through all of it…so you see how everything fits together.…
You can get to the Customizer in several different ways.…If you're on the front end of your site…you can go to the WordPress toolbar,…hover over the site name,…and then go to Customize.…If you're on the back end…you can either go to Appearance, and Themes,…and then click on Customize for the currently active theme,…
Find more courses in this series in our WordPress DIY playlist.
- Establishing the goals for the site
- Making a content inventory
- Adding custom menus
- Installing and activating themes
- Customizing the front page
- Setting up a contact form and social media buttons
- Controlling SEO and social sharing text
- Securing your site and managing spam