Join Morten Rand-Hendriksen for an in-depth discussion in this video Customizing the site using widgets, part of WordPress DIY: Community Website.
- To round out this chapter,…let's take a look at widgets.…If you haven't used WordPress before,…widgets are these small applications…that run in either the sidebar or the footer of your theme.…And you can reorganize them and change their behavior…and add and remove widgets as much as you want…without affecting the rest of the content.…Now by default when you set up WordPress…you have a series of widgets already installed,…including Search,…Recent Posts,…Recent Comments,…Archives,…Categories…and what's known as Meta,…which is the site admin log in,…the log out button…and some other links.…
When you create a new WordPress site,…it's always a good idea to remove the default widgets…and add in widgets that work for your particular site.…And in some rare cases,…like with the just right theme,…the theme will ship with some custom widgets…that can look really nice.…So the first thing we're going to do…is vet the current widgets we have…and see if they're worth keeping.…So first of all,…in my main menu,…I already have a search button.…
Find more courses in this series in our WordPress DIY playlist.
- Understanding your site goals
- Making a content inventory
- Choosing a theme and plugins
- Configuring the menus and layout
- Extending functionality with plugins
- Adding forums, events, and forms to your website
- Importing WordPress users as community members
- Securing your site and managing spam
Skill Level Beginner
1. Preparing to Build a Site
Adding a custom menu3m 45s
2. Picking and Configuring a Theme
3. Extending Functionality with Plugins
4. Going Live
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.