Join Jeff Starr for an in-depth discussion in this video Customize the database prefix, part of WordPress: Developing Secure Sites .
- [Narrator] As the world's most popular blogging software,…WordPress is a huge target for malicious scripts,…hacks and spam.…One of the best ways to secure…your WordPress database is to change…the default table prefix.…In this video, you'll learn how to do this quickly…and easily during the WordPress installation process.…As shown here, by default WordPress prefixes…its tables with wp_.…WordPress tables that use this default value…are heavily targeted by bad bots and malicious scripts.…
So by changing the default prefix to something unique,…you effectively immunize your database…against such automated attacks.…That way, if an attacker targets your database using…the default table name like, wp_posts,…the request will fail if you've changed…the default table prefix to something else…like this for example.…This is an example of security through obscurity…and is a useful technique for further protecting your site.…The easiest and recommended method…of changing the default prefix happens…during the installation process,…
- Backing up and restoring your site
- Setting up strong passwords
- Understanding users and roles
- Choosing trusted plugins and themes
- Changing and recovering passwords
- Configuring authentication keys
- Securing the login page
- Fighting spam in the comments
- Blocking access and detecting hacks
- Building a firewall for WordPress
- Detecting and blocking bots
- Auditing your WordPress security
Skill Level Intermediate
1. Getting Started
2. Security Essentials
3. Hardening WordPress
4. Improving Security with Plugins
5. Advanced Tips and Tricks
6. Applying Best Practices
Next steps2m 9s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.