Configure custom post types by adding custom labels directly from WordPress admin via the Custom Post Type UI plugin.
- [Instructor] Technically all that's needed…for a custom post type to work…is the post type slug, the plural label,…and the singular label.…However, if you create a custom post type,…it would also benefit you to add all the additional…labels that control how we talk about…the custom post type on the backend of WordPress…and all the custom settings for this custom post type.…So you can toggle on the features you want,…toggle off the features you don't want,…and decide how the custom post type operates,…who it is available to, and what they can do with it.…All these additional labels and settings…can be configured when you first create the post type…and they can also be edited later on…by going to the edit post types tab.…
From here you can use the selector to select…which custom post type you work with.…You'll also notice you can't make any changes…to the post types that come with WordPress out of the box.…So posts, pages, and attachment pages are off limits,…but any custom post type you've created…or that have been created by some other plugin…
- What are WordPress custom post types and taxonomies
- Creating and testing the plugin
- Creating posts with custom post types
- Building basic custom taxonomies
- Creating custom post type templates
- Including custom post types in the front page index
Skill Level Advanced
Q: This course was updated on 06/22/2017. What changed?
A: New videos were added that cover the Custom Post Type UI plugin; creating custom taxonomies; exporting and importing custom post types, taxonomies, and settings; and making custom post types and custom taxonomies available from the REST API.
1. Understanding Custom Post Types and Taxonomies
2. Creating a Plugin for Custom Post Types and Taxonomies
3. Creating Custom Post Types
4. Creating Custom Taxonomies
5. Creating Custom Post Type Templates
6. Working with Custom Post Types and Taxonomies
7. Going Further with Custom Post Types
Thank you!1m 35s
8. Tying Custom Post Types and Taxonomies to a theme
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.