Join Morten Rand-Hendriksen for an in-depth discussion in this video Creating a single post template for a custom post type, part of WordPress: Custom Post Types and Taxonomies.
…The whole point of creating custom post types…is that we can now output the content from…a custom post type, differently from how the…regular posts are being displayed on the front end.…The problem is, out of the box, now that we've created a…new custom post types, they're still using the templates for the post.…So, when we go and look at one of…our review posts, let's say this Cupcake Ipsum post.…You'll see it looks exactly the same as one of our regular posts.…Starts out with the list of our categories, then we have the post title,…the post meta data here on the left hand side, and then the post itself.…
No where is all the custom taxonomies we created and…there's also no difference in how this post is displayed.…So now that we have the custom post type in…place, we need to create a custom post type template.…So that we can display the reviews…differently from how we display our regular posts.…And here, you have to make a decision.…You can either create new custom post type templates and place…them within your current theme, or you can create a child theme.…
- What are WordPress custom post types and taxonomies
- Creating and testing the plugin
- Creating posts with custom post types
- Building basic custom taxonomies
- Creating custom post type templates
- Including custom post types in the front page index
Skill Level Advanced
WordPress: Building Responsive Themeswith Morten Rand-Hendriksen2h 55m Intermediate
1. Understanding Custom Post Types and Taxonomies
2. Creating a Plugin for Custom Post Types and Taxonomies
Creating a basic plugin3m 21s
3. Creating Custom Post Types
4. Creating Custom Taxonomies
5. Creating Custom Post Type Templates
6. Working with Custom Post Types and Taxonomies
7. Going Further with Custom Post Types
Thank you!1m 35s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.