…When you go to the front page or the blog page for a WordPress…site, what you're actually looking at is the index template for the post type.…Now that you've created new custom post types, you may also…want to create custom templates for each of these custom post types.…So if someone lands on the index page for either reviews or for testimonials,…you may want to display the content…differently because these are different post types.…In that case, you need to create a new template file that targets…just that post type, and we can do that thanks to the template hierarchy.…
Once you create a custom post type, you automatically…get an index page for that custom post type.…So, since we've created a custom post type called reviews, I should be able…to go localhost/reviews and see the index page for my custom post type.…And if I try it, you'll see here I have the index page, but by…default it's running the archive.php template, meaning it…will show this Archives, again, at the top.…That's not what I want.…But when I scroll own and check, you'll see this…
- What are WordPress custom post types and taxonomies
- Creating and testing the plugin
- Creating posts with custom post types
- Building basic custom taxonomies
- Creating custom post type templates
- Including custom post types in the front page index
Skill Level Advanced
Q: This course was updated on 06/22/2017. What changed?
A: New videos were added that cover the Custom Post Type UI plugin; creating custom taxonomies; exporting and importing custom post types, taxonomies, and settings; and making custom post types and custom taxonomies available from the REST API.
1. Understanding Custom Post Types and Taxonomies
2. Creating a Plugin for Custom Post Types and Taxonomies
3. Creating Custom Post Types
4. Creating Custom Taxonomies
5. Creating Custom Post Type Templates
6. Working with Custom Post Types and Taxonomies
7. Going Further with Custom Post Types
Thank you!1m 35s
8. Tying Custom Post Types and Taxonomies to a theme
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.