Off all the possible options for displaying your fields, coding custom templates gives you the most control and flexibility. Now that you know why you need to write custom code, it is time to do so using a child theme. In this video, discover what a child theme is, and define one based on the Astra theme by creating a style.css and adding CSS via the functions.php file.
- [Instructor] Using field groups to add more content … to our posts in the WordPress dashboard … is only part of what we need to do. … In order to display that content on the front end … we need to add some code to our theme. … If you're using a custom made theme, … that is one you developed or had developed for you, … you can make modifications directly to that theme. … However, if you're using a theme you got from a marketplace … or the WordPress theme repository … you should not make changes directly to that theme. … You'll risk losing them in the next update. … Instead, we need to make a child theme. … A child theme piggybacks off of the main or parent theme … using any files from the parent … that are not specifically overridden in the child. … That means if the parent gets an update … our modifications are safe and sound. … This is a quick primer in WordPress child themes. … If you'd like to learn more about child themes … you can check out the course in our library. … Since we're using the Astra theme …
- What are custom fields?
- Creating field groups
- Adding content to fields
- Displaying fields on a child theme
- Creating and displaying repeater fields
- Creating a submission form
- Creating a Gutenberg block with PHP only
- Writing rules for field display
- Organizing fields
- Exporting field groups
Skill Level Advanced
1. Getting Started with ACF
2. Creating Field Groups with ACF
Field types overview3m 48s
3. Displaying Your Fields
4. Working with Data in ACF
5. Creating a Gutenberg Block
6. Cleaning Up the Admin
Next steps1m 13s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.