…For this course, we'll create a new plugin.…And that plugin will contain all the code that…sets up our custom post types, and our custom taxonomies.…This is the recommended method for creating custom post…types and custom taxonomies because it's easy to toggle them…on and off, and you can toggle them on and off even if you switch to a new theme.…However, in some cases, you may want to add…custom post types or custom taxonomies directly to a…theme, and you can do so using pretty much…the exact same code that we're using in this course.…
Just instead of sitting in a plugin file, it will sit within the theme itself.…To start the process, we have to create a new plugin.…So I'll go to my code editor and…find my plugins folder under WP content and plugins.…And here I'm simply going to create a new file that I call posttypes.php.…And this will be the plugin file that contains all the…code necessary to create our custom post types and our custom taxonomies.…Just like when you create a new theme or a child theme, creating a plugin…
- What are WordPress custom post types and taxonomies
- Creating and testing the plugin
- Creating posts with custom post types
- Building basic custom taxonomies
- Creating custom post type templates
- Including custom post types in the front page index
Skill Level Advanced
Q: This course was updated on 06/22/2017. What changed?
A: New videos were added that cover the Custom Post Type UI plugin; creating custom taxonomies; exporting and importing custom post types, taxonomies, and settings; and making custom post types and custom taxonomies available from the REST API.
1. Understanding Custom Post Types and Taxonomies
2. Creating a Plugin for Custom Post Types and Taxonomies
3. Creating Custom Post Types
4. Creating Custom Taxonomies
5. Creating Custom Post Type Templates
6. Working with Custom Post Types and Taxonomies
7. Going Further with Custom Post Types
Thank you!1m 35s
8. Tying Custom Post Types and Taxonomies to a theme
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.