Join Morten Rand-Hendriksen for an in-depth discussion in this video Creating basic custom taxonomies, part of WordPress: Custom Post Types and Taxonomies.
…Out of the box, WordPress allows us to sort and…relate all our posts and our custom post types using…two default taxonomies, categories, which are hierarchical, meaning, one can…be a parent of another, and tags, which are non-hierarchical.…But in many cases, these two taxonomies are not enough to…fully display the relationship between…different posts and different poll's types.…So now, we're going to create new custom…taxonomies and apply them either to a single…post type or to multiple post types so…that we can relate content better to other content.…
Creating custom taxonomies is done pretty much…the same way we created custom post types.…We're using the function, called register taxonomy,…and then we give the taxonomy a name.…We tell WordPress which post types the taxonomy applies to.…And then we set up the taxonomy itself using some arguments.…To start off, I'm going to create two new custom taxonomies,…both of which are applied to the review post type.…The first one is hierarchical and called, type of product or service.…
- What are WordPress custom post types and taxonomies
- Creating and testing the plugin
- Creating posts with custom post types
- Building basic custom taxonomies
- Creating custom post type templates
- Including custom post types in the front page index
Skill Level Advanced
Q: This course was updated on 06/22/2017. What changed?
A: New videos were added that cover the Custom Post Type UI plugin; creating custom taxonomies; exporting and importing custom post types, taxonomies, and settings; and making custom post types and custom taxonomies available from the REST API.
1. Understanding Custom Post Types and Taxonomies
2. Creating a Plugin for Custom Post Types and Taxonomies
3. Creating Custom Post Types
4. Creating Custom Taxonomies
5. Creating Custom Post Type Templates
6. Working with Custom Post Types and Taxonomies
7. Going Further with Custom Post Types
Thank you!1m 35s
8. Tying Custom Post Types and Taxonomies to a theme
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.