Join Morten Rand-Hendriksen for an in-depth discussion in this video Creating a basic custom post type, part of WordPress: Custom Post Types and Taxonomies.
…Out of the box WordPress actually has 5 different post types.…2 of them are obvious, we have Posts and Pages.…In addition, we also have Media items or Attachment posts.…So these are the single posts that are created every time you upload…a new image or video or audio file or something else to the site.…And then, we have what's known as revision posts.…These are the individual revisions for a single post or a single page so you…can go back in time and look at previous versions of that post or page.…
And finally, each of your menu items is actually a post.…So when you create a new menu item and place it in a custom…menu, you're actually creating a new post item and that post item is called in.…So this gives you a very clear picture of…how advanced the custom post type function within WordPress is.…We don't use it just to create posts.…We can use it to create anything we want.…Creating new custom post types means using the register post type function.…And you can find all the information you…need on the Codex for the register post type.…
- What are WordPress custom post types and taxonomies
- Creating and testing the plugin
- Creating posts with custom post types
- Building basic custom taxonomies
- Creating custom post type templates
- Including custom post types in the front page index
Skill Level Advanced
Q: This course was updated on 06/22/2017. What changed?
A: New videos were added that cover the Custom Post Type UI plugin; creating custom taxonomies; exporting and importing custom post types, taxonomies, and settings; and making custom post types and custom taxonomies available from the REST API.
1. Understanding Custom Post Types and Taxonomies
2. Creating a Plugin for Custom Post Types and Taxonomies
3. Creating Custom Post Types
4. Creating Custom Taxonomies
5. Creating Custom Post Type Templates
6. Working with Custom Post Types and Taxonomies
7. Going Further with Custom Post Types
Thank you!1m 35s
8. Tying Custom Post Types and Taxonomies to a theme
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.