With WordPress.com you can easily link to other posts or pages in your site. You can also link to external sites. Carrie shares best practices about effective link text and when to use the "open link in a new/window/tab" feature. She also shares a quick tip to make adding links even simpler. You can also remove any link previously added.
- [Voiceover] Links are the heart of the web. They're what allows to navigate our way through whatever we find interesting. Links can be used for a single word, a group of words, or an image. In WordPress, there are a couple of ways to add links to your post or pages and I'd like to show you how. The first method is copy and paste. You can copy the URL you want to link to to your computer's clipboard. Highlight the URL and, if you're on a PC, click Control + C, and if you're on a MAC, click Command + C.
Next, highlight the text in your post that you want to link to and then use paste to apply the link. The shortcuts for this are Control + V on a PC, and Command + V on a MAC. With that, WordPress will automatically create the link, cool. The highlighted text is now underlined in blue to let you know it's a link. By the way, just because the link shows in your visual editor as underlined in blue, doesn't mean that's how it'll appear to your site visitors. That depends on which theme you're using.
To see how your content looks to your readers, you can click the preview button. So that's the first way, the second method is to use the link button in your editor toolbar. Highlight the text you want to link to and click the icon. This will pop up a box where you can enter a URL or click directly on another page or post in your site. By the way, all your posts and pages on your site will show up here. In this case, I want to link to an external site. You can also specify here whether or not you'd like this link to open in a new window or tab.
As a rule of thumb, if you're linking to content on your site, I'd recommend not selecting that option. If you're linking to another site, go ahead and have that link open in a new window. So that's the second way you can add a link. Now, if you add a link to your site and later change your mind, no worries, you can either edit it or delete it. To do that, just click on the link. From there, you can click on the pencil icon to edit it or the X to delete.
- Creating a WordPress.com account
- Updating your profile
- Importing content
- Publishing posts
- Applying categories and tags to posts
- Inserting images, videos, and other media
- Creating a new page
- Customizing your site with themes and widgets
- Managing users, notifications, and comments
- Using WordPress.com apps
- The limits of WordPress.com and the benefits of self-hosting