Learn how to create custom taxonomies using the Custom Post Type UI plugin.
- [Instructor] WordPress has two core taxonomies…that enable us to sort and organize our content.…These are categories, which is a hierarchical taxonomy…meaning a taxonomy term can have parent child relationships…and tags, which are free flowing non hierarchical…taxonomies that function exactly as tags.…Combined categories and tags allow us to sort…and organize our posts in any way we want,…but when you start working with advanced content…in WordPress or custom post types in WordPress,…there's a good chance you may need extra methods…for sorting content.…
In that case, what you're looking for…are custom taxonomies, and this custom post type…UI plugin allows us to create custom taxonomies as well.…Later on in the course, we'll work with two…custom taxonomies, one called product type…and one called mood, so we'll create these right now…so you can use them later on.…Custom taxonomies are created from CPT UI…just like post types, from here you go to…add edit taxonomies, and just like with…custom post types, you only need the basic settings…
- What are WordPress custom post types and taxonomies
- Creating and testing the plugin
- Creating posts with custom post types
- Building basic custom taxonomies
- Creating custom post type templates
- Including custom post types in the front page index
Skill Level Advanced
Q: This course was updated on 06/22/2017. What changed?
A: New videos were added that cover the Custom Post Type UI plugin; creating custom taxonomies; exporting and importing custom post types, taxonomies, and settings; and making custom post types and custom taxonomies available from the REST API.
1. Understanding Custom Post Types and Taxonomies
2. Creating a Plugin for Custom Post Types and Taxonomies
3. Creating Custom Post Types
4. Creating Custom Taxonomies
5. Creating Custom Post Type Templates
6. Working with Custom Post Types and Taxonomies
7. Going Further with Custom Post Types
Thank you!1m 35s
8. Tying Custom Post Types and Taxonomies to a theme
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.