Join Jeff Starr for an in-depth discussion in this video Control admin access, part of WordPress: Developing Secure Sites .
- [Narrator] In this video, we improve security…by preventing all unauthorized access…to the WordPress admin area.…We do this using a small amount of HT access code,…which provides strong, flexible protection…against malicious attacks.…Here we are in our code editor looking at the files…in our default WordPress installation.…Here's the directory we want to protect.…The WP admin directory contains the code…used to display the WordPress admin area…and includes a lot of sensitive functionality.…
To secure this entire directory,…grab a copy of the blank.htaccess file…that's included with this course and paste it…into the wp admin directory so it looks like this.…Next, copy the first .htaccess snippet…from the exercise files as shown here…and paste it anywhere near the top of the .htaccess file…before any existing .htaccess rules.…Before uploading the file to the server,…we want to edit the IP addresses to match our own.…
Your IP information is readily available online.…Just do a quick search for "whats my ip"…and then copy the IP address…
- Backing up and restoring your site
- Setting up strong passwords
- Understanding users and roles
- Choosing trusted plugins and themes
- Changing and recovering passwords
- Configuring authentication keys
- Securing the login page
- Fighting spam in the comments
- Blocking access and detecting hacks
- Building a firewall for WordPress
- Detecting and blocking bots
- Auditing your WordPress security
Skill Level Intermediate
AngularJS and WordPress: Building a Single-Page Applicationwith Roy Sivan31m 52s Intermediate
1. Getting Started
2. Security Essentials
3. Hardening WordPress
4. Improving Security with Plugins
5. Advanced Tips and Tricks
6. Applying Best Practices
Next steps2m 9s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.