Join Jeff Starr for an in-depth discussion in this video Configure authentication keys, part of WordPress: Developing Secure Sites .
- [Lecturer] In this video…we improve the security…of the WordPress user log in process…by adding a set of secret keys…to the site's configuration file.…This is an important step…designed by the WordPress team…to better secure your website.…Here we are in our FTP/file editor…looking at the WP config file.…Scroll down to just beneath the database credentials…to where it says,…Authentication Unique Keys and Salts.…As you can see,…freshly installed WordPress…doesn't provide unique secret keys…so we'll need to add our own.…
The quickest and easiest way…to generate strong key values…is to visit WordPress own secret key service…at this URL.…Just visit the page,…copy the keys,…and then paste them into your configuration file,…like so.…Once the keys are in place,…save and upload the configuration file to the server,…and that's all there is to it.…WordPress will now use these keys…to help keep user log-ins super secure.…Enabling a strong set of security keys…helps to insure that attackers can't hijack…a logged in user's session…
- Backing up and restoring your site
- Setting up strong passwords
- Understanding users and roles
- Choosing trusted plugins and themes
- Changing and recovering passwords
- Configuring authentication keys
- Securing the login page
- Fighting spam in the comments
- Blocking access and detecting hacks
- Building a firewall for WordPress
- Detecting and blocking bots
- Auditing your WordPress security
Skill Level Intermediate
1. Getting Started
2. Security Essentials
3. Hardening WordPress
4. Improving Security with Plugins
5. Advanced Tips and Tricks
6. Applying Best Practices
Next steps2m 9s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.