- [Instructor] When it comes to security, … choosing a good web host is 90% of the battle. … The old saying, you get what you pay for, … has never been more true. … In this video, we'll look at some of the various types … of hosting and what to look for … when choosing a good web host … and then we'll wrap things up with my personal collection … of reputable and reliable hosts. … The first, most ubiquitous type of hosting … is referred to as shared hosting. … With shared hosting, you get lower cost but greater risk … because typically multiple sites are hosted … on the same server. … Sure, you get the most commonly required features, … such as PHP, MySQL, and so forth, … but you have limited flexibility and control. … Basically shared hosting is best for blogs … and smaller websites. … And then there's VPS hosting which generally costs more … than shared hosting, but there's less risk … because each site or account is hosted … in its own virtual container. … Virtual hosting typically provides root access …
- Backing up and restoring your site
- Setting up strong passwords
- Understanding users and roles
- Choosing trusted plugins and themes
- Changing and recovering passwords
- Configuring authentication keys
- Securing the login page
- Fighting spam in the comments
- Blocking access and detecting hacks
- Building a firewall for WordPress
- Detecting and blocking bots
- Auditing your WordPress security
Skill Level Intermediate
1. Getting Started
2. Security Essentials
3. Hardening WordPress
4. Improving Security with Plugins
5. Advanced Tips and Tricks
6. Applying Best Practices
Next steps2m 9s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.