Join Carrie Dils for an in-depth discussion in this video Challenge: Adding and displaying a widget, part of WordPress Themes: Customizing Themes with Genesis.
- [Instructor] Okay, it's time to put your new…knowledge to the test.…So your mission, if you choose to accept it,…is to register a new widget area,…give it the ID my-widget and a name of My Widget,…then I want you to write a function to display the widget…and its corresponding markup, then hook your function…to genesis_entry_header, which displays…right above a post title.…And I only want you to display that widget on single posts.…Pages don't count.…So the resouces to help you complete the mission…are going to be previous lessons from this chapter,…the Genesis Framework files themselves,…and WordPress Conditional Tags over at WordPress.org.…
As a final hint, I'll tell you that functions.php…is going to be the only file you're editing here.…Take about five minutes and I'll see you soon…with the solution.…
- Setting the stage for your customization
- Selecting a child theme to customize
- The core of the Genesis framework
- Child theme template structure
- Action hooks and filters in WordPress and Genesis
- Editing theme files
- Editing the style sheet
- Working with functions
- Adding a custom header image
- Registering a widget area
Skill Level Beginner
1. Setting the Stage for Your Customization
2. Explaining Genesis and WordPress
3. Editing Theme Files
4. Working with the Loop
Next steps1m 23s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.