Join Patrick Rauland for an in-depth discussion in this video Calculating shipping costs, part of WordPress: Ecommerce.
- A big decision when selling physical goods…is how to calculate shipping costs.…Some stores charge a flat rate of two dollars per item,…while others offer free shipping on orders over $100,…while some are more selective,…allowing one type of product to ship for free,…while charging a fee for the other items.…As you can imagine,…this can get pretty complicated.…Some platforms don't have a lot of shipping options.…Platforms like Gumroad and Easy Digital Downloads…are built for digital products,…which are delivered via a download link.…If you choose one of these platforms,…make sure that you're okay with limited shipping options.…
One of the most basic shipping options…is Flat Rate shipping.…With Flat Rate shipping,…there's usually a per order or a per item cost.…An example would be charging $5 per order…and an additional $2 per item.…Flat Rate shipping is great…because it's usually very easy to set up and test.…Also, this option doesn't require you to…create any accounts with shipping providers,…nor have the weight and dimensions…
To start, you need to understand the market for your product or service so you can build your website around it. So Patrick Rauland kicks off with some key questions that will help you define your audience and organize your products. He'll then help you set up a payment gateway with PayPal or Stripe, ship orders, collect taxes, and secure sensitive data. And if you weren't convinced already, Patrick reviews the benefits of WordPress ecommerce tools as well as a selection of third-party tools that integrate beautifully with WordPress. Plus, get bonus tips on marketing your new website: attracting and retaining customers and increasing the value of the average order.
- Defining your audience
- Organizing your products
- Marketing your WordPress site
- Increasing average order value
- Getting paid
- Checking out with PayPal or Stripe
- Managing and shipping orders
- Collecting tax
- Protecting sensitive data
- Using WordPress or third-party platforms for ecommerce