Join Jeff Starr for an in-depth discussion in this video Block access, part of WordPress: Developing Secure Sites .
- [Tutor] In this video,…we equip ourselves with a powerful way…to protect our site against the bad guys.…Keeping an eye on our server log files,…we employ the excellent WP-Ban plugin…to block specific threats and other malicious activity.…To really take your security to the next level,…it's important to keep an eye on your sites error logs,…and activity logs.…Such logs are readily available…from your server control panel and elsewhere,…so ask your host if you don't see them.…Here we have an excerpt from a hypothetical error log…where various details are recorded for each URL request.…
These are malicious requests…as evidenced by the nasty strings contained in the URLs.…The rate of these bad requests are about one per second.…And they all have the same recorded referer,…IP address,…and user agent.…This sort of malicious activity happens constantly,…and does a good job of wasting server resources…and slowing things down for your legitimate visitors.…There are many solutions for defending against…these types of bad requests,…
- Backing up and restoring your site
- Setting up strong passwords
- Understanding users and roles
- Choosing trusted plugins and themes
- Changing and recovering passwords
- Configuring authentication keys
- Securing the login page
- Fighting spam in the comments
- Blocking access and detecting hacks
- Building a firewall for WordPress
- Detecting and blocking bots
- Auditing your WordPress security
Skill Level Intermediate
AngularJS and WordPress: Building a Single-Page Applicationwith Roy Sivan31m 52s Intermediate
1. Getting Started
2. Security Essentials
3. Hardening WordPress
4. Improving Security with Plugins
5. Advanced Tips and Tricks
6. Applying Best Practices
Next steps2m 9s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.