Learn about some important best practices for WordPress plugin development. Understanding and following these recommendations helps you build quality WordPress plugins with ease of use.
- [Instructor] What puts plug in developers…ahead of the competition?…Their plug ins are developed with the WordPress API…and best practices.…Following best practices…ensures that your plug in will be widely compatible.…This video explores some important best practices…that will enable your plug ins…to be as successful as possible.…Here's an overview of the best practice topics…that we'll be covering in this video.…First up, file organization.…Here's an example, showing a good way to organize…your plug in files.…
The key word here is organized.…We always want to keep the plug in's root directory…as uncluttered as possible.…It should include a blank index file,…the main plug in file,…an uninstall file,…plus license and readme files.…From there you can add subdirectories as needed…to house other plug in files.…For example, most plug ins have some sort of includes folder…a languages folder, and admin and public folders.…
We'll use this exact setup in the next chapter…of the course.…When it comes to organizing files,…there are no strict rules, only best practices…
- WordPress APIs
- Action and filter hooks
- Activating and deactivating plugins
- Plugin security
- Creating the directory and files
- Adding menus and the settings page
- Inserting custom functionality
- Testing and debugging WordPress plugins
- Creating widgets
- Managing users and roles
- Adding custom post types and taxonomies
- Working with custom fields and database queries
- Using APIs: Transients, HTTP, and REST
Skill Level Intermediate
WordPress: Developing Secure Siteswith Jeff Starr2h 38m Intermediate
1. First Steps
2. Plugin Basics
3. Building a WordPress Plugin
4. Essential Plugin Techniques
5. Extending Plugin Functionality
6. Advanced Plugin Techniques
Next steps1m 16s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.