In this movie, Carrie highlights why it’s a good idea to internationalize your code whether you’re selling it, giving it away, or otherwise distributing it to the public. WordPress is used all over the world. By internationalizing your theme or plugin, you open up your potential user base significantly.
- [Voiceover] WordPress is used all over the world.…While it's not realistic for you to personally translate…your theme or plugin…into dozens and dozens of languages,…you can write you code in a way…so that it can be easily translated by someone else…into whatever language they need.…And through internationalization, they can do this…without the need to modify your source code.…In other words,…non-developers can translate strings in your code.…This means that the usefulness of your theme or plugin…is not limited only to people who speak your language.…
Your code has value across the globe.…So whether you're selling your software…or simply giving it away, taking the small extra effort…to internationalize your code…opens up your potential user base significantly.…
- Why internationalization is important
- Using the gettext() function
- Adding context for translations
- Adding and loading text domains for WordPress themes and plugins
- Translating using GlotPress