Join Morten Rand-Hendriksen for an in-depth discussion in this video Adding a slider to the front page, part of WordPress DIY: Community Website.
- When I defined the goals and requirements…for this site, I mentioned, for a community site,…it's important to have the ability…to showcase featured content on the front page.…Now, in many cases, you may have to add…a custom plug-in or a custom functionality…to make that happen.…But, in the case of Just Right,…which is the theme we're currently using,…we have those features built in,…and they actually hook in to several different places…in the theme.…So first, we're gonna take a look…a the slider that's built into this theme.…The slider is found from the back end,…so if you go to the back end, go to Appearance…and Theme Options, you'll see here we have a tab…called Slider, and it explains how…to activate the slider.…
You need at least three posts marked as featured…for the slider to show up.…When you post an article, click on…Mark this post as featured.…Then you can choose to activate the Featured Posts Slider…by checking this box…and you can choose how many posts should be displayed…in the slider.…So by default it's set to three,…
Find more courses in this series in our WordPress DIY playlist.
- Understanding your site goals
- Making a content inventory
- Choosing a theme and plugins
- Configuring the menus and layout
- Extending functionality with plugins
- Adding forums, events, and forms to your website
- Importing WordPress users as community members
- Securing your site and managing spam
Skill Level Beginner
1. Preparing to Build a Site
Adding a custom menu3m 45s
2. Picking and Configuring a Theme
3. Extending Functionality with Plugins
4. Going Live
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.