Learn about the Settings API, make a plan, and add your plugin settings. The steps outlined in this tutorial can be applied to any plugin and the code serves as a template that you can use when building your own plugins.
- [Instructor] Now that our plugin has its own menu item…and settings page let's continue with plugin development…and add the plugin settings.…We will do this using the Settings API.…The Settings API is great,…because it provides built-in security…and visual consistency,…plus it handles all of the form processing,…so less time is spent testing everything.…Now for the plugin that we are building in this chapter…the first step is planning.…Exactly which settings do we need?…Some plugins, like Hello Dolly,…have zero settings.…
The plugin just does its thing.…Most plugins however do have settings,…like Akismet.…Akismet has its own sub-level menu item…under the Settings menu.…And it also has its own settings page…where the plugin can be customized.…Likewise for our plugin,…the settings page is located under the Settings menu.…So any options that we add will be displayed on this page.…But before adding any code,…let's do some basic planning.…
Our plugin will display its settings in two sections.…The first will include options to customize the login page…
- WordPress APIs
- Action and filter hooks
- Activating and deactivating plugins
- Plugin security
- Creating the directory and files
- Adding menus and the settings page
- Inserting custom functionality
- Testing and debugging WordPress plugins
- Creating widgets
- Managing users and roles
- Adding custom post types and taxonomies
- Working with custom fields and database queries
- Using APIs: Transients, HTTP, and REST
Skill Level Intermediate
WordPress: Developing Secure Siteswith Jeff Starr2h 38m Intermediate
1. First Steps
2. Plugin Basics
3. Building a WordPress Plugin
4. Essential Plugin Techniques
5. Extending Plugin Functionality
6. Advanced Plugin Techniques
Next steps1m 16s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.