Learn how to add meta boxes to the Edit screen of any post type. Meta boxes provide a consistent, modular, customizable way to associate metadata that is easily managed by the user.
- [Instructor] In this video,…we look at how to add meta boxes…to the Wordpress Admin area.…Here on the edit post screen,…we see a variety of default meta boxes,…excerpt, custom fields,…discussion, comments,…and so forth.…All of these items are meta boxes,…and Wordpress makes it possible for developers…to add their own meta boxes to the edit screen…of any post type.…This includes the edit post screen as seen here…and also includes the edit page screen…and or the edit screen for any custom post types…that are available.…
As you can see here,…meta boxes typically contain some HTML form fields,…but really you can add any markup that's required.…Meta boxes are very flexible.…Also notice that there are no submit or save buttons…included with any meta box.…That's because the changes are saved…when the user clicks the update button…or the publish button if the post is not yet published.…Meta boxes are great because they enable us…to associate meta data with posts…in a way that's modular, flexible, consistent,…and easy to use.…
- WordPress APIs
- Action and filter hooks
- Activating and deactivating plugins
- Plugin security
- Creating the directory and files
- Adding menus and the settings page
- Inserting custom functionality
- Testing and debugging WordPress plugins
- Creating widgets
- Managing users and roles
- Adding custom post types and taxonomies
- Working with custom fields and database queries
- Using APIs: Transients, HTTP, and REST
Skill Level Intermediate
WordPress: Developing Secure Siteswith Jeff Starr2h 34m Intermediate
1. First Steps
2. Plugin Basics
3. Building a WordPress Plugin
4. Essential Plugin Techniques
5. Extending Plugin Functionality
6. Advanced Plugin Techniques
Next steps1m 16s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.