Get an overview of custom post types and Taxonomies. Using plugins to add new post types and taxonomies is an excellent way to extend the functionality and flexibility of WordPress.
- [Instructor] In this video, we look at an overview…of adding custom post types and taxonomies.…We want to cover the basics with a couple…of simple examples.…For more complete coverage, make sure to check out…the video course titled…WordPress: Custom Post Types and Taxonomies.…WordPress makes it easy to add new post types…and taxonomies.…WordPress includes several default post types…and so custom post types are useful…for adding new post types for things like products,…announcements, events and anything else…that doesn't fit with the default post types.…
Likewise, with custom taxonomies, they are useful…for creating groups of items that don't fit…with any of the existing WordPress taxonomies.…For example, if your site is about art,…you may want to create a taxonomy named art…that includes terms such as abstract,…postmodern, cubist and so forth.…Again, this video is just an overview…of custom post types and taxonomies…so that you are aware and understand the basics.…First, let's look at an example…that shows how to add a custom post type.…
- WordPress APIs
- Action and filter hooks
- Activating and deactivating plugins
- Plugin security
- Creating the directory and files
- Adding menus and the settings page
- Inserting custom functionality
- Testing and debugging WordPress plugins
- Creating widgets
- Managing users and roles
- Adding custom post types and taxonomies
- Working with custom fields and database queries
- Using APIs: Transients, HTTP, and REST
Skill Level Intermediate
WordPress: Developing Secure Siteswith Jeff Starr2h 34m Intermediate
1. First Steps
2. Plugin Basics
3. Building a WordPress Plugin
4. Essential Plugin Techniques
5. Extending Plugin Functionality
6. Advanced Plugin Techniques
Next steps1m 16s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.