If a theme depends on a custom post type or taxonomy to function, it can be included in the theme itself. This video shows you how to add custom post type and taxonomy code directly to a theme.
- [Instructor] Watching this course,…you've learned how to add custom post types and taxonomies…to a site using a custom plugin.…That works well for most scenarios…and ensures the custom post types and taxonomies…are available on the site independently of the current feed.…But there are some rare scenarios where the custom post…types and taxonomies belong to the feed, not the site.…This could be situations where a feature in the feed…relies on a specific custom post type or taxonomy,…or scenarios where plugins maybe deactivated,…leaving the theme with missing information.…
Though these are fringe scenarios and the recommended…approach for adding custom post types and taxonomies…is to use a plugin like what we've learned here,…I want to show you how to add them directly to a theme…so you have a full picture of all possible approaches.…To start off, I'll turn off my plugin that's currently…adding in the custom post types and taxonomies.…You see here I have them both over here,…testimonials and reviews,…and they each have custom taxonomies with them.…
- What are WordPress custom post types and taxonomies
- Creating and testing the plugin
- Creating posts with custom post types
- Building basic custom taxonomies
- Creating custom post type templates
- Including custom post types in the front page index
Skill Level Advanced
Q: This course was updated on 06/22/2017. What changed?
A: New videos were added that cover the Custom Post Type UI plugin; creating custom taxonomies; exporting and importing custom post types, taxonomies, and settings; and making custom post types and custom taxonomies available from the REST API.
WordPress Plugins: Advanced Custom Fieldswith Morten Rand-Hendriksen1h 39m Intermediate
1. Understanding Custom Post Types and Taxonomies
2. Creating a Plugin for Custom Post Types and Taxonomies
3. Creating Custom Post Types
4. Creating Custom Taxonomies
5. Creating Custom Post Type Templates
6. Working with Custom Post Types and Taxonomies
7. Going Further with Custom Post Types
Thank you!1m 35s
8. Tying Custom Post Types and Taxonomies to a theme
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.