Add custom functionality to your plugin. First, add four functions for the customize-login settings, and then another three functions for the customize-admin settings. This completes the core part of the plugin's functionality, but more features can always be added later if desired.
- [Instructor] In this tutorial,…we're going to add some custom functionality to our plugin.…In previous videos, we added all the code necessary…to get the plugin to this point.…We've added the menu item, plugin page,…registered all settings, to find all callback functions,…and made some other optimizations…to make sure that everything is safe and secure.…So now we want to add the actual functionality…that will make this plugin do something…other than just remember settings.…For this plugin, we have a section of options…for the user to customize the login page,…and another set of options…for the user to customize the admin area.…
So now we want to add the functionality…for each of these seven features.…Let's do so, one at a time,…beginning with the Custom URL feature.…First, let's create a new file.…We're going to put this file in the includes folder.…I'm going to name it core-functions.php.…This file will be available to…all admin and public-facing pages,…as explained in the previous video,…creating the plugin directory and files.…
- WordPress APIs
- Action and filter hooks
- Activating and deactivating plugins
- Plugin security
- Creating the directory and files
- Adding menus and the settings page
- Inserting custom functionality
- Testing and debugging WordPress plugins
- Creating widgets
- Managing users and roles
- Adding custom post types and taxonomies
- Working with custom fields and database queries
- Using APIs: Transients, HTTP, and REST
Skill Level Intermediate
WordPress: Developing Secure Siteswith Jeff Starr2h 34m Intermediate
1. First Steps
2. Plugin Basics
3. Building a WordPress Plugin
4. Essential Plugin Techniques
5. Extending Plugin Functionality
6. Advanced Plugin Techniques
Next steps1m 16s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.