Learn how to add your plugin to the WordPress Administrative Menu and how to add top-level menu items and sub-level menu items. Then, learn to move your code into dedicated files to help keep the main plugin file nice and organized.
- [Instructor] Now that we have our plugins directory…and key files set up,…we can begin adding functionality.…In this video we'll add a menu item for our plugin…in the WordPress admin menu.…Adding a menu item makes it easy for users…to find our plugin's settings page…and configure the plugin as desired.…The only question we have for this video…is where do we want to add the menu item?…WordPress gives us two choices.…We can add a top-level menu or a sub-level menu,…also referred to as a sub-menu.…
Top-level menus are great,…because they may contain sub-menu items,…which is good if your plugin settings have multiple pages.…Otherwise, for plugins with only one settings page…it makes more sense to go with a sub-level menu.…Now that we understand the difference,…let's go through the process of adding our menu item…in each of these locations.…First we'll add the top-level menu…and then we'll replace it with a sub-level menu.…The first thing that we want to do is add the function…that will display our plugin's settings page.…
- WordPress APIs
- Action and filter hooks
- Activating and deactivating plugins
- Plugin security
- Creating the directory and files
- Adding menus and the settings page
- Inserting custom functionality
- Testing and debugging WordPress plugins
- Creating widgets
- Managing users and roles
- Adding custom post types and taxonomies
- Working with custom fields and database queries
- Using APIs: Transients, HTTP, and REST
Skill Level Intermediate
WordPress: Developing Secure Siteswith Jeff Starr2h 34m Intermediate
1. First Steps
2. Plugin Basics
3. Building a WordPress Plugin
4. Essential Plugin Techniques
5. Extending Plugin Functionality
6. Advanced Plugin Techniques
Next steps1m 16s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.