Learn the basics of WordPress action and filter hooks. Action hooks enable you to integrate custom functionality. Filter hooks enable you to modify data as desired. Taken together, action and filter hooks play a key role in plugin development.
- [Narrator] In WordPress, hooks are central…to plugin development.…They enable us to interact with the WordPress core.…Hooks are foundational to how WordPress operates,…enabling us to modify, extend,…and remove core functionality.…They play a huge role in making WordPress…very flexible and extensible.…If you look through the plugin API,…you'll see that it's all about hooks.…There are two types of hooks, actions and filters.…Action hooks enable us to run custom code…at specific points during the execution of WordPress.…
For example, we can use actions to do things…like echo output, write to a file, or modify the database.…Filter hooks enable us to modify data…during the execution of WordPress.…For example, we can use filters to modify post content…before sending it to the user.…To use either actions or filters,…we need a callback function.…Let's open the simple example plugin…that we created in the previous Getting Started video.…For example, let's add an easy callback function…for an action hook.…
Let's keep it simple and create a function…
- WordPress APIs
- Action and filter hooks
- Activating and deactivating plugins
- Plugin security
- Creating the directory and files
- Adding menus and the settings page
- Inserting custom functionality
- Testing and debugging WordPress plugins
- Creating widgets
- Managing users and roles
- Adding custom post types and taxonomies
- Working with custom fields and database queries
- Using APIs: Transients, HTTP, and REST
Skill Level Intermediate
WordPress: Developing Secure Siteswith Jeff Starr2h 38m Intermediate
1. First Steps
2. Plugin Basics
3. Building a WordPress Plugin
4. Essential Plugin Techniques
5. Extending Plugin Functionality
6. Advanced Plugin Techniques
Next steps1m 16s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.