Join Joe Dolson for an in-depth discussion in this video Accessible theme guidelines: Learn about color contrast, part of WordPress: Accessibility.
- Let's talk about color contrast.…What is color contrast and how do we measure it?…We're talking about how we measure color.…Color, for accessibility, is going to be measured…as a relative sensitvity to light intensity.…We're not talking about hue,…we're not talking about saturation.…We want to know how sensitive a given degree of sight…is to difference in color.…We're detecting similarities…in the perception of those colors.…There are a lot of myths about color contrast.…
There are concerns that color contrast is mostly…because of color blindness.…This is not the case.…There are a lot of populations who are effected…by color contrast problems who are not color blind.…We've got aging eyes.…People with aging eyes are gradually losing their ability…to see the differences between colors.…That color contrast gradually decreases…as you pass 50, into your 60s, 70s, and 80s.…Monitors can show greatly less contrast…if you're in a brightly lit environment.…
Imagine if you're trying to look at your phone…outside in a brightly sunlit day.…
This course, merging WordPress coding with accessible web design techniques, helps you make sure your website meets modern accessibility standards. You'll learn how to use the power of WordPress to quickly build a beautiful and accessible website that can be used by people with different types of abilities. Author Joe Dolson provides a broad introduction to accessibility and then focuses on practical steps to make sure your WordPress themes, plugins, and content are accessible and usable to all.
- What is web accessibility?
- Understanding the benefits of accessibility
- Building accessible forms
- Adhering to theme guidelines
- Creating accessible navigation
- Working with images, media, and other accessible content
- Integrating plugins
- Testing your site for accessibility