- Building a design in Photoshop
- Converting Photoshop design to HTML and CSS
- Setting up MAMP on Mac and WAMP on Windows
- Moving HTML and CSS into a WordPress theme
- Building navigation
- Using custom fields
- Creating a commenting system
Skill Level Intermediate
- Hello and welcome to WordPress: Creating and Editing Custom Themes. I'm Chris Coyier. In this course we're going to step through the entire process of conceptualizing, designing and coding a complete WordPress theme according to the specific needs of a client. We're going to start with a blank slate and go through the entire workflow beginning with creating a design in Photoshop. Next we'll create a webpage template based on that design using HTML and CSS.
I'm very much looking forward to this journey. Let's get started with WordPress: Creating and Editing Custom Themes.
Q: What prerequisite skill do I need to be successful in this course?
Q: The index.php file that the author is working with in Chapter 3 doesn't match mine after the "Building a sidebar" movie. It appears to change between the "Building a sidebar" and "Building the navigation" movies. What code am I missing?
A: The author makes some changes off screen between several movies in this title, simply because there is so much material to cover. These changes are provided in the exercise files.
However, if you are following along without the exercise files, you catch up to him by adding the following code to your index.php file, directly after the <?php get_header(); ?> line:
Near the end of the file, just before <?php get_sidebar(); ?>, add a closing div tag, </div>, to complete the div wrapper.
The resulting code will look like so. You may also copy and paste this into a new file and save it as index.php.
<?php get_header(); ?>
<?php if (have_posts()) : while (have_posts()) : the_post(); ?>
<div <?php post_class() ?> id="post-<?php the_ID(); ?>">
<h2><a href="<?php the_permalink() ?>"><?php the_title(); ?></a></h2>
<?php include (TEMPLATEPATH . '/inc/meta.php' ); ?>
<?php the_content(); ?>
<?php the_tags('Tags: ', ', ', '<br />'); ?>
Posted in <?php the_category(', ') ?> |
<?php comments_popup_link('No Comments »', '1 Comment »', '% Comments »'); ?>
<?php endwhile; ?>
<?php include (TEMPLATEPATH . '/inc/nav.php' ); ?>
<?php else : ?>
<?php endif; ?>
<?php get_sidebar(); ?>
<?php get_footer(); ?>
Q: How do I load my custom theme once I have finished?
A: Copy the Custom theme folder to your new WordPress installation and put it in wp-content > themes. Then you can activate the new theme and work with it from there.