Join Tony Harmer for an in-depth discussion in this video The trouble with tables, part of Creating EPUBs from a Word Document.
- You would think that tables were easy…and the more basic, then the more that is the case.…In my experience, Word handles tables pretty well on export,…but it's provided you adhere to that rule,…and keep it simple!…Word has absolutely tons of table related features.…It's possible to do really fun stuff with borders and fills.…Even images in cells as backgrounds are sort of possible.…With having said that, if you're still living…the 1990's web design dream,…and think you're having a light bulb moment…about using images in table cells to achieve a layout,…you need to think again.…
The best advice I can give you here…is that while it can do a whole load of stuff with tables,…that are going to be printed out, a lot of those things…won't make it through the process to EPUB.…Even if you save it to HTML and it looks good in a browser,…you are still not done.…Especially if you are targeting Amazon as one of your stores…because the mobi format isn't terribly…table tolerant at all, and it quite often sticks…super fat cell borders on, whether you want them or not.…
- Avoiding redundant formatting
- Formatting new or existing Word documents
- Adding a book cover
- Understanding how images work in EPUBs
- Adding bookmarks and links
- Converting footnotes and endnotes
- Exporting to HTML on Mac and on Windows
Skill Level Beginner
Creating a Fixed-Layout EPUBwith Anne-Marie Concepción3h 18m Intermediate
Digital Publishing Fundamentalswith William Everhart1h 8m Appropriate for all
1. EPUB Overview
2. Formatting Overview
3. Using Word
4. Images and Media
5. Things to Watch Out for
6. What's Next
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.