Join Chad Perkins for an in-depth discussion in this video What is a shot list?, part of Creating a Short Film: 03 Pre-Production.
- View Offline
- Exercise Files
- A shot list is a list of the camera shots…that you need to get while you're filming.…While other pre-production tasks, like scheduling…and budgeting are done by the first assistant director…or another crew member, the shot list…is usually created by the director of photography…in conjunction with the director.…Because our director of photography quit the project…at the last minute, I ended up having to fill that role.…So I didn't have any collaboration in the creation of the…shot list, and I think our film really suffered for it.…All components of film-making are benefited…by collaboration, especially the making of the shot list.…
So how do you create a shot list?…We'll look at the mechanics of how to do that…in the next tutorial, but the point is that you want…to get enough footage so the editor can tell the story…in the best possible way in post-production.…This is referred to as getting coverage of a scene.…For example, if we just used a single shot…to record the entire hut scene, the editor…doesn't have any choices if there is a mistake…
Learn how to prepare the assets, such as shooting scripts, storyboards, and shot lists. Discover how to schedule and budget a shoot, and keep costs down while leaving room for the creative decisions that need to be made along the way. Find out how to hire a crew, scout and secure locations for each scene, and prepare props, sets, and wardrobe for actors. Learn what you need to do to keep your people safe, and the things you can prepare ahead of time to make sure production and post-production run smoothly.
There are more filmmaking tips to be had! Make sure to watch the first installment to learn about the background of the project and to get an overview of the role of the producer. Look for the follow-up episodes to learn more about writing, directing, working with actors, editing and visual effects, and everything else that goes into filmmaking.
- Turning the script into a shooting script
- Working with script breakdown software such as Adobe Story
- Creating storyboards and a shot list
- Scheduling the shoot
- Budgeting the shoot and post-production
- Hiring a crew
- Preparing sets and costumes
- Scouting locations
- Creating props
- Preparing assets for post-production
Skill Level Appropriate for all
Creating a Short Film: 04 Working with Actorswith Chad Perkins1h 49m Appropriate for all
Creating a Short Film: 05 Directingwith Chad Perkins2h 27m Appropriate for all
Up and Running with DSLR Filmmakingwith Chad Perkins1h 10m Appropriate for all
1. Script Breakdown
2. Creating the Shot List
3. Creating the Schedule
4. Creating the Budget
5. Getting a Crew
6. Art and Production Design
9. Preparing for Production
10. Preparing for Post
Creating a rough soundtrack1m 36s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.