When you have an email message that you want to customize for your recipients, use Word 2016 for Mac mail merge. As with merged letters, mail merge lets you create personalized messages that contain the same static text and formatting, but also include dynamic text from a data source. With mail merge each recipient receives their own personal email.
- I believe that the ability to merge email messages…is one of the best uses of mail merge.…We'll create email messages using Word merge…in the same way that we created any other merge,…like the letters we just did.…However, it requires us to use Microsoft Outlook…to send those messages.…So if you solely use Gmail or solely use Apple Mail,…for example, this isn't going to work for you.…We need the Outlook engine.…But assuming that you use Microsoft Outlook,…if you only use it for this purpose,…you're good to go, because we're going to create a message…in exactly the same way that we created our letter.…
We'll begin with a primary document,…in this case, the content of our email,…and it will have some static text and some variable text.…We'll mash that up with the data source.…Any of the data sources that you saw in the first chapter…are good for us to use.…There's no such thing as a email-only data source.…And then, by merging them together,…we'll get individual email messages…sent to these specific people.…This solves a number of problems for me.…
Gini von Courter takes a deep dive into mail merge, showing how to efficiently create personalized letters, envelopes, labels, and even email messages. She explains how to connect to data sources in Excel, create new data sources, and add attachments to merged email messages. Plus, she covers how to troubleshoot mail merge issues, use rules like If…Then…Else for advanced mail merges, and more.
Lynda.com is a PMI Registered Education Provider. This course qualifies for professional development units (PDUs). To view the activity and PDU details for this course, click here.
The PMI Registered Education Provider logo is a registered mark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.
- Selecting recipients from Outlook and Apple contacts
- Selecting recipients from FileMaker Pro data
- Mail merging data from an Excel spreadsheet
- Filtering recipients
- Inserting merge fields
- Sending merged email
- Troubleshooting mail merged letters
- Creating personalized email messages
- Creating envelopes, labels, and directories
- Using rules for customized merges