Join Chad Perkins for an in-depth discussion in this video Using software tools to help, part of Creating a Short Film: 03 Pre-Production.
- [Voiceover] Many people, like our first AD Gevin Booth…here, many people prefer to break down the script by hand.…I actually like using software for this process instead.…The reason is because I do everything digitally.…I write the script in Adobe Story, and I also use Story,…well, technically it's Story CC+, and I use that…to break down the script and generate lists,…make the schedule, a whole bunch of stuff, and…I love having all this right here in one centralized place,…and I also kind of like that it's stored in the cloud…and I can access it from anywhere.…
And later we'll look at Shot Designer,…which is my other go-to pre-production software tool.…But for this tutorial and throughout the series…I'll be showing you how I do things in Adobe Story,…but you can do a lot of this stuff in other software…applications as well, like Celtx,…or the industry standard apps from Movie Magic,…or just with a good old pen and paper like Gevin does.…But the concepts are the important thing to grasp here,…and they're universal regardless of the method that you use.…
Learn how to prepare the assets, such as shooting scripts, storyboards, and shot lists. Discover how to schedule and budget a shoot, and keep costs down while leaving room for the creative decisions that need to be made along the way. Find out how to hire a crew, scout and secure locations for each scene, and prepare props, sets, and wardrobe for actors. Learn what you need to do to keep your people safe, and the things you can prepare ahead of time to make sure production and post-production run smoothly.
There are more filmmaking tips to be had! Make sure to watch the first installment to learn about the background of the project and to get an overview of the role of the producer. Look for the follow-up episodes to learn more about writing, directing, working with actors, editing and visual effects, and everything else that goes into filmmaking.
- Turning the script into a shooting script
- Working with script breakdown software such as Adobe Story
- Creating storyboards and a shot list
- Scheduling the shoot
- Budgeting the shoot and post-production
- Hiring a crew
- Preparing sets and costumes
- Scouting locations
- Creating props
- Preparing assets for post-production
Skill Level Appropriate for all
Creating a Short Film: 04 Working with Actorswith Chad Perkins1h 49m Appropriate for all
Creating a Short Film: 05 Directingwith Chad Perkins2h 27m Appropriate for all
1. Script Breakdown
2. Creating the Shot List
3. Creating the Schedule
4. Creating the Budget
5. Getting a Crew
6. Art and Production Design
9. Preparing for Production
10. Preparing for Post
Creating a rough soundtrack1m 36s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.