There are two broad types of mail merge errors. With a simple mail merge operation, errors in the main document cause errors in all the merged letters. If an error occurs in only one or two letters, the problem is usually in the data source rather than the main document.
- [Instructor] The finish and merge process…is a very straightforward proposition.…We just choose one of the two options…and Word does all the work.…But behind the scenes, mail merge is a very complex process,…because we have one application, Word for Mac,…requesting data from other applications,…like Excel or Filemaker Pro or Outlook.…There are authentication and security issues behind…the scenes that you and I don't have to worry about,…but one of the issues that arises when people…mail merge with large data sources is that even if…you're only using the current record or the first 100…out of 100,000 records, you still need to have enough…capacity for Word for Mac to do the work of finding…those 100 records out of the hundred thousand.…
Therefore, in preparation for finish and merge,…this is a really good time to close down other applications.…It's not a good time to be posting images on Facebook…or catching up on something you want to see on Netflix.…This is a fabulous opportunity to let Word for Mac…have access to all of the memory that it needs…
Gini von Courter takes a deep dive into mail merge, showing how to efficiently create personalized letters, envelopes, labels, and even email messages. She explains how to connect to data sources in Excel, create new data sources, and add attachments to merged email messages. Plus, she covers how to troubleshoot mail merge issues, use rules like If…Then…Else for advanced mail merges, and more.
- Selecting recipients from Outlook and Apple contacts
- Selecting recipients from FileMaker Pro data
- Mail merging data from an Excel spreadsheet
- Filtering recipients
- Inserting merge fields
- Sending merged email
- Troubleshooting mail merged letters
- Creating personalized email messages
- Creating envelopes, labels, and directories
- Using rules for customized merges