To use an Excel spreadsheet as your mail merge data source, on the Mailings tab choose Select Recipients then choose Use an Existing List. Locate your Excel file and choose Open. Select the sheet you want to use. Leave Cell Range blank to use the whole worksheet or enter a cell range for the data you want to use then choose OK.
- [Instructor] In my opinion I've really saved…the best for last.…Excel is the great translation tool…for data throughout many many organizations…because I can easily export data to Excel…so that I can open it in Excel for Mac.…I can analyze data that I have in Excel…unlike that table that I just created in Microsoft Word.…I can add formulas, I can do averaging,…filtering, sorting, pivot tables,…whatever I want.…So I have a lot of data in Excel…in my organization and yours probably does too.…
If I'm creating a data source on the fly,…Excel is easier to use than FileMaker Pro,…more powerful than Microsoft Word.…Let's see how we can use Microsoft Excel…as a data source for our mail merge.…We're here in our letter.…We're going to go back to Mailings,…Select Recipients, Use an Existing List.…I'll go to my Exercise Files,…and you can choose whatever data source…you have in Excel.…The one I'm going to select is Catalog Requests.xlsx…although I've included a CSV file…which is a text file that you could play with as well…
Gini von Courter takes a deep dive into mail merge, showing how to efficiently create personalized letters, envelopes, labels, and even email messages. She explains how to connect to data sources in Excel, create new data sources, and add attachments to merged email messages. Plus, she covers how to troubleshoot mail merge issues, use rules like If…Then…Else for advanced mail merges, and more.
Lynda.com is a PMI Registered Education Provider. This course qualifies for professional development units (PDUs). To view the activity and PDU details for this course, click here.
The PMI Registered Education Provider logo is a registered mark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.
- Selecting recipients from Outlook and Apple contacts
- Selecting recipients from FileMaker Pro data
- Mail merging data from an Excel spreadsheet
- Filtering recipients
- Inserting merge fields
- Sending merged email
- Troubleshooting mail merged letters
- Creating personalized email messages
- Creating envelopes, labels, and directories
- Using rules for customized merges