Use the Word for Mac ASK rule and bookmark references to prompt a user for a value that is then used multiple times in the merged results.
- [Instructor] This primary merge document…that's already connected to…our secondary document, our data source is called Ask,…and you'll find it in the chapter four folder.…You can also use the document that we used…in the last movie or the one before…or any other document that you like.…The use case here is a little different.…What we'd like to do is…have a piece of information that we reflect more than once…in the same letter.…For example, we want to ask what discount…is going to be provided…and then mention it again.…
Now if I use fill in to do this,…the way I do it is I prompt twice.…I ask them to fill it in once,…and I ask them to fill it in again…and boy it's really easy…to offer them two different discounts…in the same letter.…Once somebody gets going if they lose track.…Therefore, what we're going to do is,…rather than using fill in,…we're going to use a different rule called ask.…What ask allows us to do is prompt the user…and then store that value…that they provide…in a local variable,…in a bookmark.…
And then we will go refer to that bookmark…
AuthorGini von Courter
Gini von Courter takes a deep dive into mail merge, showing how to efficiently create personalized letters, envelopes, labels, and even email messages. She explains how to connect to data sources in Excel, create new data sources, and add attachments to merged email messages. Plus, she covers how to troubleshoot mail merge issues, use rules like If…Then…Else for advanced mail merges, and more.
- Selecting recipients from Outlook and Apple contacts
- Selecting recipients from FileMaker Pro data
- Mail merging data from an Excel spreadsheet
- Filtering recipients
- Inserting merge fields
- Sending merged email
- Troubleshooting mail merged letters
- Creating personalized email messages
- Creating envelopes, labels, and directories
- Using rules for customized merges
Skill Level Intermediate
Word 2013: Templates in Depthwith Gini von Courter1h 46m Intermediate
Word for Mac 2016: Forms in Depthwith Gini von Courter1h 13m Intermediate
1. Create Personalized Letters
2. Use Email Merge
3. Create Envelopes, Labels, and Directories
Merge envelopes6m 23s
4. Use Rules and Other Advanced Features
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.