Join Chad Perkins for an in-depth discussion in this video Previewing our short film, part of Creating a Short Film: 03 Pre-Production.
(dramatic orchestral music) - [Voiceover] It's so hard to believe.
I keep dreaming that she's here with me and we can go home. The people of my world are sick, dying. I can never go home. I am alone. My sister was the only family I've ever known. And I miss her. She left me here in the wilderness.
I know her mission is important, but I still don't understand it. I always knew my sister would do something great. I didn't know what it was, but she did and that weighed heavily on her. Ta'ani kept her secrets 'til the end. All I knew was that she had more hope than most. She wanted that for me too.
- Recite the poem. (sigh) Through forests deep and desert long, I will be brave, I will be strong. - [Voiceover] I did not share her faith. A great evil has come to this world. They say it is a god that has rebelled and fallen. And that his presence creates the terrible plague that is destroying our people.
- Draw the assurance. - [Voiceover] Some find hope in an ancient drawing. They think it's a sign from the gods that we will be saved. - Draw the assurance, everyday. - [Voiceover] Ta'ani believed. She had me study it and draw it over and over. I was not a good student. I suppose she was preparing me to learn who she really was. And why she had to leave.
I didn't understand why the assurance was so important. But some did. - What do you see? - [Voiceover] The few that are left, gather often. To learn and look forward to a brighter day. Though even the believers doubt they will be around to see it. One day, I was exposed and everything changed. We left our home.
Went out into the wilderness and Ta'ani finally taught me about her mission. - Korda'a there's a lot I need to tell you. The gods have blessed our family. We can do great things. Shhh. (soft orchestral music) (sizzles) Never go near this child.
(explosion) - [Voiceover] I had so many questions. But then the next day, she was gone. Now, I think I understand. She taught me who she was. Who I am. And to believe. The people of my world are dying, but they are not dead. Ta'ani's mission was to send me to save them and I intend to.
- If others new you existed, our lives would never be the same. - A child will come to save us.
- Impossible. - [Ta'ani] Korda'a you've been exposed. They know who you are. The fanatics will come after us. We're not safe here. We must leave. - Korda'a, time for you to take your journey. - Why? Aren't you coming? - You know what to do. - You're the chosen one. - Korda'a, you are the assurance. You can save us all.
It was always you. - How do I know where to go? - Through forest deep and desert long. - I will be brave. I will be strong. (wind blowing) (dramatic orchestral music) (rock shifting)
Learn how to prepare the assets, such as shooting scripts, storyboards, and shot lists. Discover how to schedule and budget a shoot, and keep costs down while leaving room for the creative decisions that need to be made along the way. Find out how to hire a crew, scout and secure locations for each scene, and prepare props, sets, and wardrobe for actors. Learn what you need to do to keep your people safe, and the things you can prepare ahead of time to make sure production and post-production run smoothly.
There are more filmmaking tips to be had! Make sure to watch the first installment to learn about the background of the project and to get an overview of the role of the producer. Look for the follow-up episodes to learn more about writing, directing, working with actors, editing and visual effects, and everything else that goes into filmmaking.
- Turning the script into a shooting script
- Working with script breakdown software such as Adobe Story
- Creating storyboards and a shot list
- Scheduling the shoot
- Budgeting the shoot and post-production
- Hiring a crew
- Preparing sets and costumes
- Scouting locations
- Creating props
- Preparing assets for post-production