Join Chad Perkins for an in-depth discussion in this video Preparing for the shoot, part of Creating a Short Film: 03 Pre-Production.
- One of the last things to do in pre-production…is to make sure you're ready to start production.…We'll talk in more detail about a lot of this information…in the upcoming training series on working on set,…but it's important to just be aware…of what is needed for the shoot day.…Usually the first AD will create call sheets…and send them out to all cast and crew…the day before each shoot day.…You also want to make sure that there are plenty of copies…of the script floating around in case anybody needs them.…Usually the script supervisor, actors, director, first AD,…these people will probably show up with a script…because they usually work with it really closely.…
But it's always helpful to have…extra copies on hand just in case.…One of the things I like to do is put…all my pre-production work in EverNote, though you could use…any Cloud-based service that works on mobile devices.…That way I not only have the screenplay always…on hand and always in my pocket, but also…the shot list, the schedule, contact info, location info,…
Learn how to prepare the assets, such as shooting scripts, storyboards, and shot lists. Discover how to schedule and budget a shoot, and keep costs down while leaving room for the creative decisions that need to be made along the way. Find out how to hire a crew, scout and secure locations for each scene, and prepare props, sets, and wardrobe for actors. Learn what you need to do to keep your people safe, and the things you can prepare ahead of time to make sure production and post-production run smoothly.
There are more filmmaking tips to be had! Make sure to watch the first installment to learn about the background of the project and to get an overview of the role of the producer. Look for the follow-up episodes to learn more about writing, directing, working with actors, editing and visual effects, and everything else that goes into filmmaking.
- Turning the script into a shooting script
- Working with script breakdown software such as Adobe Story
- Creating storyboards and a shot list
- Scheduling the shoot
- Budgeting the shoot and post-production
- Hiring a crew
- Preparing sets and costumes
- Scouting locations
- Creating props
- Preparing assets for post-production
Skill Level Appropriate for all
Creating a Short Film: 04 Working with Actorswith Chad Perkins1h 49m Appropriate for all
Creating a Short Film: 05 Directingwith Chad Perkins2h 27m Appropriate for all
1. Script Breakdown
2. Creating the Shot List
3. Creating the Schedule
4. Creating the Budget
5. Getting a Crew
6. Art and Production Design
9. Preparing for Production
10. Preparing for Post
Creating a rough soundtrack1m 36s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.