Join Chad Perkins for an in-depth discussion in this video Preparing sets, part of Creating a Short Film: 03 Pre-Production.
- As we talked about in the last movie,…dressing the set is a really important part…of production design.…On bigger sets, you'd even have a person,…or a whole team of people that are in charge…of preparing and dressing the set.…But, in our project, it was just my wife and I.…My wife actually is pretty great at designing sets.…She's done production design for…some others shorts that I have done, like Godlizza…and Monday, the 16th.…The purpose of creating or dressing a set,…is to make it feel more like what it's supposed to be.…So, we got these great sparse cabins with our location…that we are going to use for the hut scene.…
But, they didn't actually look like people lived there.…If people lived in this space,…there would be food, and bedding.…Probably laundry somewhere.…So, part of the pre-production preparations…Heather and I did for hut scene was to just talk about…what would be in that hut.…It would still would be sparse,…but, yeah, they'd probably have a fur blanket…in case it got cold.…Looks like it also gave some life…
Learn how to prepare the assets, such as shooting scripts, storyboards, and shot lists. Discover how to schedule and budget a shoot, and keep costs down while leaving room for the creative decisions that need to be made along the way. Find out how to hire a crew, scout and secure locations for each scene, and prepare props, sets, and wardrobe for actors. Learn what you need to do to keep your people safe, and the things you can prepare ahead of time to make sure production and post-production run smoothly.
There are more filmmaking tips to be had! Make sure to watch the first installment to learn about the background of the project and to get an overview of the role of the producer. Look for the follow-up episodes to learn more about writing, directing, working with actors, editing and visual effects, and everything else that goes into filmmaking.
- Turning the script into a shooting script
- Working with script breakdown software such as Adobe Story
- Creating storyboards and a shot list
- Scheduling the shoot
- Budgeting the shoot and post-production
- Hiring a crew
- Preparing sets and costumes
- Scouting locations
- Creating props
- Preparing assets for post-production
Skill Level Appropriate for all
Creating a Short Film: 04 Working with Actorswith Chad Perkins1h 49m Appropriate for all
Creating a Short Film: 05 Directingwith Chad Perkins2h 27m Appropriate for all
Up and Running with DSLR Filmmakingwith Chad Perkins1h 10m Appropriate for all
1. Script Breakdown
2. Creating the Shot List
3. Creating the Schedule
4. Creating the Budget
5. Getting a Crew
6. Art and Production Design
9. Preparing for Production
10. Preparing for Post
Creating a rough soundtrack1m 36s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.