After connecting to your mail merge data source you can place merge fields from the data source in your mail document. Position your insertion point where you wish to insert dynamic data from your data source. On the Mailings tab choose Insert Merge Field and select the field you want to add. Click Preview Results to view your letters.
- Continuing our work in Merge - Brochure Letter2…or whatever primary document you are working with,…we're now ready to begin inserting fields into our document.…Placeholders for the variable information…that will come from the data source…that we've just connected to.…All of this is wicked easy in Word 2016 for Mac.…We begin with our letter,…and there are several different ways…that we can insert fields.…For example, down in the paragraph itself…there's a first name right here.…
If I wanted to, all I need to do…is insert this first name field.…I'm going to delete the static text that was there.…Go to insert merge field and choose First_Name.…Now you'll notice that it has some brackets around it.…These aren't things that you can simply type in.…These actually are the code for the start and end…of a merge field.…Let's take a look now at our address block.…We'll create that.…That will begin with a First_Name.…And then I'm going to type in a space…because I'll want a space between the first name…and the person's last name.…
Gini von Courter takes a deep dive into mail merge, showing how to efficiently create personalized letters, envelopes, labels, and even email messages. She explains how to connect to data sources in Excel, create new data sources, and add attachments to merged email messages. Plus, she covers how to troubleshoot mail merge issues, use rules like If…Then…Else for advanced mail merges, and more.
Lynda.com is a PMI Registered Education Provider. This course qualifies for professional development units (PDUs). To view the activity and PDU details for this course, click here.
The PMI Registered Education Provider logo is a registered mark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.
- Selecting recipients from Outlook and Apple contacts
- Selecting recipients from FileMaker Pro data
- Mail merging data from an Excel spreadsheet
- Filtering recipients
- Inserting merge fields
- Sending merged email
- Troubleshooting mail merged letters
- Creating personalized email messages
- Creating envelopes, labels, and directories
- Using rules for customized merges