Join Gini von Courter for an in-depth discussion in this video Insert a footnote or endnote, part of Creating Reports in Word 2016.
- [Instructor] We often associate things like footnotes,…endnotes with academic reports or academic papers.…And I've noticed in business reports,…that I see far fewer footnotes and endnotes than I used to.…In fact often when someone wants to mention…some information to provide in a side,…they'll tuck it into parentheses…and embed it in the text of the report.…For me this actually decreases readability.…I don't want to see sources…of information in the report,…I'd rather read the content of the report…and see the sources separately.…
Or if there's an aside that's being mentioned,…putting it in parentheses still makes me read through it…to find the end of the parentheses to get back…on the main track of the document.…I would encourage you in terms of a writing style…that if you feel a need to put a significant…portion of text in parentheses,…it might better be expressed as either…a footnote at the bottom of a page,…or a endnote at the end of the report.…In our footnotes document I have some text…that's in parentheses that talks about…
LinkedIn Learning (Lynda.com) is a PMI Registered Education Provider. This course qualifies for professional development units (PDUs). To view the activity and PDU details for this course, click here.
The PMI Registered Education Provider logo is a registered mark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.
- Outlining your report
- Applying styles and themes
- Inserting tables, pictures, and charts
- Dividing reports into sections
- Inserting a table of contents
- Proofing your report