Join Chad Perkins for an in-depth discussion in this video Hiring the crew, part of Creating a Short Film: 03 Pre-Production.
- In this chapter we're going to look…at assembling your team.…You know that's really what filmmaking…is all about, collaborating and coming up…with better ideas as a group.…Where can you find your crew?…This is a tough one, essentially you're hiring…crew members to work on your project…just like hiring somebody for a job.…So just like hiring somebody for a job…it's kind of a gamble…you never know if the person you're hiring…is going to care about the job,…or be good enough or not.…In my experience, referrals are the absolute…best source of finding great crew members.…
You can look on local message boards,…different websites, check with the local…state film office, there's groups on Facebook…even Craigslist, I mean there are tons of places…to hire crew members.…But all these are very risky to me.…I've been on plenty of film sets where…the bad attitude of just a single person…really damages the morale and creative atmosphere…of the entire set.…But when you hire crew members referred…from people that you know and trust, you have…
Learn how to prepare the assets, such as shooting scripts, storyboards, and shot lists. Discover how to schedule and budget a shoot, and keep costs down while leaving room for the creative decisions that need to be made along the way. Find out how to hire a crew, scout and secure locations for each scene, and prepare props, sets, and wardrobe for actors. Learn what you need to do to keep your people safe, and the things you can prepare ahead of time to make sure production and post-production run smoothly.
There are more filmmaking tips to be had! Make sure to watch the first installment to learn about the background of the project and to get an overview of the role of the producer. Look for the follow-up episodes to learn more about writing, directing, working with actors, editing and visual effects, and everything else that goes into filmmaking.
- Turning the script into a shooting script
- Working with script breakdown software such as Adobe Story
- Creating storyboards and a shot list
- Scheduling the shoot
- Budgeting the shoot and post-production
- Hiring a crew
- Preparing sets and costumes
- Scouting locations
- Creating props
- Preparing assets for post-production
Skill Level Intermediate
Creating a Short Film: 04 Working with Actorswith Chad Perkins1h 49m Intermediate
Creating a Short Film: 05 Directingwith Chad Perkins2h 27m Intermediate
1. Script Breakdown
2. Creating the Shot List
3. Creating the Schedule
4. Creating the Budget
5. Getting a Crew
6. Art and Production Design
9. Preparing for Production
10. Preparing for Post
Creating a rough soundtrack1m 36s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.