Regardless of the data source you select for your email merge, you can hone your recipient list by applying one or more filters to your data.
- [Narrator] Regardless of the data source…that you use for your recipients,…the next step is to apply whatever filters…you wish to get the recipients out…of that data source that you want.…For example, it might be that in my…data source I only want people from…a particular state.…I can say state equal to Michigan,…and then I can combine that with an and…or an or if I want folks in Michigan…or folks in Illinois, or state equal to Illinois.…
Now I need to know my data.…I need to know that I'm using abbreviations…rather than full state names,…and I need to understand a little…bit about the logic of and versus or.…If I'm looking for items in two different fields,…for example, recent requests in the request date…field in California, I would be choosing and,…both of those things would be true,…or perhaps I want to send to everyone in…California additionally to anyone who made a…request in the last three months.…
In that case, I would use or because…either of those conditions being true…would be good enough.…Notice also with my comparison I have equal to,…
AuthorGini von Courter
Gini von Courter takes a deep dive into mail merge, showing how to efficiently create personalized letters, envelopes, labels, and even email messages. She explains how to connect to data sources in Excel, create new data sources, and add attachments to merged email messages. Plus, she covers how to troubleshoot mail merge issues, use rules like If…Then…Else for advanced mail merges, and more.
- Selecting recipients from Outlook and Apple contacts
- Selecting recipients from FileMaker Pro data
- Mail merging data from an Excel spreadsheet
- Filtering recipients
- Inserting merge fields
- Sending merged email
- Troubleshooting mail merged letters
- Creating personalized email messages
- Creating envelopes, labels, and directories
- Using rules for customized merges
Skill Level Intermediate
Word 2013: Templates in Depthwith Gini von Courter1h 46m Intermediate
Word for Mac 2016: Forms in Depthwith Gini von Courter1h 13m Intermediate
1. Create Personalized Letters
2. Use Email Merge
3. Create Envelopes, Labels, and Directories
Merge envelopes6m 23s
4. Use Rules and Other Advanced Features
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.