Regardless of the data source you select for your email merge, you can hone your recipient list by applying one or more filters to your data.
- [Narrator] Regardless of the data source…that you use for your recipients,…the next step is to apply whatever filters…you wish to get the recipients out…of that data source that you want.…For example, it might be that in my…data source I only want people from…a particular state.…I can say state equal to Michigan,…and then I can combine that with an and…or an or if I want folks in Michigan…or folks in Illinois, or state equal to Illinois.…
Now I need to know my data.…I need to know that I'm using abbreviations…rather than full state names,…and I need to understand a little…bit about the logic of and versus or.…If I'm looking for items in two different fields,…for example, recent requests in the request date…field in California, I would be choosing and,…both of those things would be true,…or perhaps I want to send to everyone in…California additionally to anyone who made a…request in the last three months.…
In that case, I would use or because…either of those conditions being true…would be good enough.…Notice also with my comparison I have equal to,…
Gini von Courter takes a deep dive into mail merge, showing how to efficiently create personalized letters, envelopes, labels, and even email messages. She explains how to connect to data sources in Excel, create new data sources, and add attachments to merged email messages. Plus, she covers how to troubleshoot mail merge issues, use rules like If…Then…Else for advanced mail merges, and more.
Lynda.com is a PMI Registered Education Provider. This course qualifies for professional development units (PDUs). To view the activity and PDU details for this course, click here.
The PMI Registered Education Provider logo is a registered mark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.
- Selecting recipients from Outlook and Apple contacts
- Selecting recipients from FileMaker Pro data
- Mail merging data from an Excel spreadsheet
- Filtering recipients
- Inserting merge fields
- Sending merged email
- Troubleshooting mail merged letters
- Creating personalized email messages
- Creating envelopes, labels, and directories
- Using rules for customized merges